Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A look at what's up in the studio

Here's a sneak peek into my soldering process.
This is one of the pieces I'm making for the show I have coming up at Quirk in November. This is only one third of its final length. I'm using steel binding wire. I line up all my lengths by measuring and marking onto a soft, impressionable fire block, and shoving in holding wires that pin my important pieces in place. This way they don't move or roll around when I heat them. I pick solder onto each connection, one at a time. In one of my bracelets, I roughly calculated somewhere around 500 solder seams. Luckily, I'm a huge fan of repetition and tedium. I only really get frustrated when the rhythm gets broken.

"I'm helping!"



1 comment:

Rush said...

looks like suicide. but beautiful. i remember how frustrating that was when you were doing it at penland.