Saturday, February 6, 2010

Speaking of Facebook

While I'm on the subject of Social Networking (the overwhelmed artist's favorite marketing tool) I might as well give mine the plug. If the website, the etsy shop, the blog, and my vocal pestering (no link for that one.... yet) was NOT enough, go on over to my Facebook Fan Page. Gather in a community of ME-fans. Post, comment, tweet, txt, and other verbs I don't understand about ME. This is your best opportunity to really connect with other people who share a common goal: my rise to awesomeness. And here I thought it was my premium dancing skills that would rocket me to fame.. little did I know it would be Facebook.


If it's not nauseatingly obvious yet, I have not yet come to terms with the idea of self-promotion. While I realize the usefulness of spreading my name and pictures of my work as far and wide as I can.. it still feels narcissistic. A conversation comes to mind with a woman I used to work with:

Ruby: What's that you're working on, Caitie?
Me: Some postcards to hand out at a show.
Ruby: Why?
Me: Because I need to sell myself.
Ruby: Honey.... Do you know how that sounds?

Needless to say I am a TERRIBLE self promoter! I'm shy and awkward and self-effacing. I make assumptions of disinterest or disapproval. It's ridiculous. It's getting worse, because I'm coming to the point in my career where this is important. I'm not a student anymore, I don't want to live in obscurity and make art that no one sees or appreciates. I want to SELL work- maybe even make a living off of my work! I'm also a no name. Who's going to see it if I don't shove it in their faces?

Just one of the many obstructions to climb over in this whole "real life" thing. Am I too old for all this over-thinking?

2 comments:

Patsy Kay Kolesar said...

Hi Caitie,

I feel the exact same way. I make jewelry too, and I read your blog. I think I first saw your work on etsy, and then saw your website, blog etc. I love your work, very beautiful and unique. I haven't done the facebook fan page yet, but i'm a newbie on twitter and everytime I "tweet" I feel like a big narcissistic nerd.
You should come join me there! :)
Patsy.
www.pkkdesign.com
www.twitter.com/patsykaykolesar

Caitie Sellers said...

Hey! Thanks for the boost! You also make some beautiful jewelry- I'm particularly enchanted by your photography. Imaginative and elegant!

Oh man. Twitter is uncharted territory. I don't get it yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to "friend" you... or... twit you? tweet you? do you friend people on twitter? Look at me, making up words, using nouns as verbs. My seventh grade english teacher would be ashamed.