Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sundays are a day for a blog

Latest work:

I have been making just a bit of new jewelry to beef up the portfolio. I'm applying (maybe begging is a more operative term) to a couple of galleries in areas where I think my work might be better accepted, and I needed a few new wearables. I'm struggling to find a balance on the effort to income scale, if that makes any sense. I spend days on pieces like the one above and find myself writing a price tag for it that my non-artist acquaintances choke and gag at. On the other end, I spent a few months in '09 focusing on a production line that I found tedious and unfulfilling, but put a couple bucks in my pocket. I'm not going to lie- I need the money (badly)- but I am wondering if my time spent making dead-end one of a kinds is more valuable than a meager income from a production line. I am wondering if there is a missing link that would make the one of a kind work profitable. I am hoping that it's location. Hence the previous ramblings about networking and advertising- I've been thinking about it a lot and desperately trying to get over myself. The goal is to get work in areas with a customer base educated about the value of craft and accepting of art jewelry. I'm having a rocky start, but at least it is one (cross your fingers, Seattle!) On Wednesday I'm attending a business class at Mountain Bizworks here in Asheville that is all about getting your portfolio together and approaching stores and galleries. I really can't believe I live in a city that hosts affordable business classes aimed towards artist-makers. I can't wait!

No comments: