Sunday, March 21, 2010

New on the Loom

Hello friends!

As most of you know, I double-majored in metals and textiles at VCU. I've been focusing on my jewelry work lately, but now that the loom and I have been reunited, I thought I'd start designing another series of scarves.

I use what's called a pick up double weave technique. I draw my cartoon onto a piece of graph paper cut to the size of the scarf. Each row on the paper equals one warp string (for those non-weavers, the warps are the verticals.)







Double weave means simultaneously weaving two layers of fabric at once. There are a ton of practical applications for double weave, but I really only use it for pattern and plushness. My technique is called pick-up because I lift up the colors to make the pattern. I weave one color at a time, picking up the white to weave the gray, picking up the gray to weave the white... and so on and so on and so on, making a piece of fabric that is the color opposite on one side from the other. In the picture above you can see my pick-up stick (my friend Matt Williams made that one for me!) which I use to count out and grab the warps indicated on my graph paper cartoon.






As I finish a row for each layer, I mark it off on the cartoon with a pencil so I don't get confused and make the same row twice. This pattern has been particularly friendly and fun to weave. When it comes off the loom, I want it to look like a length of tile that is cracking.













2 comments:

HULDRA PRESS said...

That's so exciting! There need to be more modern, fresh weaving like yours in the world.

Caitie Sellers said...

Thanks Marianne! That's so flattering! Maybe one day we should work out a trade?