Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Weekend with Few Accomplishments

I really haven't been making any new work lately. I started a scarf months ago and it's still on the loom. The torch hasn't heated up except for some random etsy orders, and I haven't even been sketching new ideas. Motivation and morale are low. This dry spell started with a string of rejections and rejection is something that I can deal with, but I'm starting to wonder if this has deeper roots. I'm going to start making again, I promise, I just need a little break from what I've been doing to reconsider what I'm going to be doing.

In the meantime, though, I can't keep my hands still. I'll keep posting what I'm working on, even if it's just a dumb flower drawing. I work at a flower shop full time. I see a lot of flowers. I am very much not interested in spending much more time with them than I already do, but they do make good captive subjects when I'm feeling like getting lost in detail.

My goal with drawings is to include detail to the point of abstraction. If I quit while it still looks like something, I haven't worked hard enough. I got sunburned yesterday drawing this iris, but was still bored by how literal it was. So last night I drew a sketch of my sketch with obsessive crosshatch for shading, and now I feel like I'm happy with it. In my book they mirror each other.

No comments: