Thursday, April 15, 2010

Music in New York City

This past weekend I made a short trip up to Brooklyn to visit my sister and see the big city. I have a few things to share, and I think I'll start with the music.

Ok, so my sister's in this one but that doesn't delegitimize the plug. Sara, Andrea, Mary, and Meg make a hypnotizing 3 part harmony and trade a slew of unexpected instrumentation (cello, accordion, autoharp, bells, etc.) They make an unforgettable and completely unique sound that doesn't seem to fit into any genre. It is sweet & innocent and powerful & raunchy all at once. Be their fan!

Red Clay River
These guys are from my hometown in Roanoke, Virginia. My sister and I have known some of these boys for so long and so well they're like part of the family. Couldn't ask for a nicer group of folks. Seriously. Their music is charged with energy and dramatic, with unexpected instrumentation (a theme) and an interesting push and pull between Dan's raw, Tom Waits-like vocals and the pure, sweet harmonies of Camelia and her violin. By the way, there's also a rock double-bass, a drummer that occasionally picks banjo, and some seriously glorious guitar solos from our boy Aaron. Overnight after the show their van was stolen with all the gear inside. The NYPD has recovered it, but there's no word yet as to what shape it's in or what's left. Keep up with these boys and girls, they might need your help at a benefit show in the near future. Be their fan!

PS. Click on the band name to go to their myspace page where you can hear the music.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Caitie - Google let me to your blog and I stole the photos to put on our Facebook. Hope that's okay.

Be well,
Marcus