Monday, May 4, 2009

Spring Happenings Craft Show





Behind every successful woman is a handsome man.

The craft show is officially over! All the bloodshed and tears! I made some much needed and well appreciated contacts, and met some unbelievably amazing people, and I made back my immediate expenses, so I will say that I am happy with it in the end. I busted my *ahem* rear-end to put together a huge amount of inventory (just in case) and buy as many chains, displays, and materials that I could have ever needed, and that was all probably a little unnecessary. I just didn't go through much jewelry. Now I have a lot of jewelry and nowhere to get rid of it. I understand that as my first venture in a new craft-based business, I should expect to not really make a profit, but it hurts my ego a little and my wallet a lot. I do know now, though, that there is nothing to be afraid of, that it is better to be over-prepared, and that the craft community is as warm and inclusive as I had hoped, and beyond that. Everyone at the show went out of their way to let me know that my presence was respected, and everyone made sure I understood that I shouldn't be disappointed if I had bad sales. I will make the suggestion to all my craft friends: think hard before you do a craft show in a mall. You end up spending three 12 hour days watching teenagers make out on the escalator. yuck.

But thank you thank you thank you to all you wonderful people who stopped at my booth to chat, whether you bought something or not, or whether you were a fellow vendor or not. Thank you to my new friends in the booths around me, you made me feel so accepted and at home. Thank you to the promoters, I know you did a fantastic job organizing and advertising, at least we know the mall's not it. Thank you to those of you who bought something- I really do get flattered when I know my work is appreciated. Thank you to whomever took a card and went to my website and ended up here, stay in touch!

No comments: