Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm a dork and boring!

Reading my last post, I realized how little I actually have to say about my life. Sigh.... Pancakes.

To make up for it, here's a little bit of current work-things that actually mean something to me.



These are some of my favorite pieces from the Ventanas Series that I started at Penland and can't stop. I mailed the two bracelets to New Jersey on Friday for a show titled "Decorative Resurgence."
“Decorative Resurgence”, is a juried exhibition focused on contemporary metalwork
and jewelry inspired by historical ornamentation and decoration. Artists are
encouraged to submit work that references historical decorative metalwork, jewelry,
functional and non-functional objects, architecture, textile patterns, and/or processes.


The exhibition was juried by Jill Baker Gower and Jessica Calderwood, and will be held at the Rowan University Gallery in Glassboro, NJ, in conjunction with the Society of North American Goldsmith's Conference, April 20th-May 29th.



I made these two stands last week to display the jewelry while in the gallery. I wanted to include some of the architectural inspirations I draw upon for the furniture, but I'm afraid it gets muddy when it's all put together. Any suggestions? I realize it's too late for Decorative Resurgence, but I'm not done making these pieces yet. Onward!



My very first pair of Window Bar Earrings! Sterling Silver and Steel. The fleur de lis are polished for a little bit of sparkle. I'm loving the small hoop attachments, be prepared to see more of this kind of connection from me.

Lastly:


A different idea than the others so far. This pendant depicts a scene, just a peep, of a city landscape in Xela. It is a mix of silver and steel, with some parts polished for impact. The chain, which I haven't even finished yet, is handmade of different sized links of steel.

I feel that this is a step forward in my one of a kind work. The window bars speak of protection and safety, something that preoccupied me at all times while in Central America. This scene, and the ones I plan to make in the future, will say more about life and my personal interaction with the landscape.

In other news, I'm enjoying both of my jobs, and Hugh now is also employed, so we can feel like functioning members of society again. Maybe we'll even be able to afford internet and Netflix! He's also (enthusiastically!) taken on my bookkeeping as a new challenge. Knowing the way he does things, it may become his new hobby. My baby so smart! It's given me relief to have a number on my expenditures, or losses... as it may be. It's also relieving to have that not take away from my studio or relaxing time, what a good sport Hugh is!

1 comment:

joanna said...

just wonderful. absolutely beautiful. i'm impressed.